Thursday, August 05, 2004

Discovering the delights of non-fiction

In the past, fiction made up most of my leisure reading. After recent trips to the library for the unearthing sources to verify facts in a publication I'm copy editing, I've discovered that non-fiction isn't as boring as I had thought.

Here's a list of interesting tomes I've checked out and am in the process of reading or perusing:

Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors by Piers Paul Read
The Greatest Survival Stories Ever Told: Seventeen Incredible Tales, edited by Lamar Underwood (Some of these are short fictional stories, such as Jack London's "To Build a Fire.")
Houdini: The Untold Story by Milbourne Christopher
The Gypsies by Jan Yoors
The Astonishing Mr. Scripps: The Turbulent Life of America's Penny Press Lord by Vance H. Trimble
The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses by C. S. Lewis

Other non-fiction I've enjoyed:
Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes
Bella Tuscany by Frances Mayes
travel books about Spain and Argentina (their titles escape me)
Anne Frank: A Life Remembered by Miep Gies

More later ...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow! my situation is the complete opposite. i've read nothing but non-fiction for the past several years (except for the required reading in my british and american lit classes). i just recently had this desire to start reading classics, so i bought a cheap copy of war and peace that i read to break the monotony of the books about history, apologetics and leadership studies. i haven't gotten into biographies much, not yet anyway. there's a few that i would really like to read. but now i'm just rambling.