Monday, August 29, 2005

Before building an eben ezer

Looking up from the pit
dug by guilty hands,
the tired prisoner sees
a ladder extend down
and then rest on the muddy bottom.
Does he dare
to climb out
of this hole
into a sky-blue-covered world
of unknown?
Should the days become hazy,
will the once-imprisoned
wish himself back
down here?
Are there dangers worse
than this stifling air
that steals
every hopeful breath?
El-Shaddai, You wait,
silently cheering him on
to put one foot
on that first rung,
just to start
going
somewhere.
El-Roi, You want him
to choose
the light.
Too long he's choked on
imagined disappointments.
It's time to climb to the future,
to get on with moving on.

written 12.1.03;
revised 8.29.05

2 comments:

ShyViolet said...

I like your poems

ShyViolet said...

Thanks so much for your kind words about my jewelry! I'm mostly self-taught, and I've been doing it a little over a year. Although I've never taken a class, I have been really inspired by others on the internet - check out the Four Seasons of Jewelry project (I have a link on my blog).

I'm actually originally from AL, but I grew up mostly in GA and went to SC for college. I was there for three years at Clemson, then waited another two years for my hubby (whom I met in in the honors dorm!) to graduate, and we've just moved to TX (about 2 months ago) for grad school. I've visited Charleston, though I didn't ever live there, and it's a really pretty city.

Actually, I haven't done any jewelry inspired by the Bible or my faith... but I would love to! I love the natural beauty of the stones, and that's one way I appreciate God's artistry. And I am definitely up for a collaboration! That sounds like fun!

I'll have to come back and read more of your poetry, but at the moment I'm supposed to be studying for a test. Thanks again!